“Travel the world and the seven seas, Everybody’s looking for something.”
Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams
My Favorite Songs and Movies
Hopefully, this list will help other Fifty Plus Nomads get to know me a little bit and provide some new and previously unknown suggestions for their enjoyment.
My Favorite Music
Favorite Types of Music: I like almost all genres of music, from opera to hard rock and even rap. My favorite part of music is the lyrics. I am not that big a fan of instrumental music.
My Favorite Singers: I have seen many of these artists in person (* indicates artists I have seen in concert).
- USA: Tony Bennett*, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Fleetwood Mac, Counting Crows, REM, Joan Baez, James Taylor*, Judy Collins*, Simon and Garfunkel, Eminem, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi*, Elvis Presley, Janis Joplin, Elton John*, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Janis Ian, Carole King, Prince, Roberta Flack, Bobby Darin, Carly Simon, Dolly Parton, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Journey, Bruce Springsteen, John Cougar Mellencamp. Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, Anna Nalick, Tina Turner.
- Canada: Celine Dion (especially in French), Leonard Cohen, Anne Murray, Joni Mitchell, Gordon Lightfoot, Shania Twain*, Bryan Adams*.
- Britain: Beatles, Adele. Queen, Coldplay, Sting, Cat Stevens.
- Ireland: U2*
- Sweden: Abba, Neneh Cherry.
- Mexico: Lila Downs*.
- Columbia: Shakira*,
- Puerto Rico: Calle 13, Willie Colon.
- Guatemala: Ricardo Arjona.
- France: Edith Piaf, Jo Dessin, Jacquel Brel, Enrico Macias.
- Cuba: Silvio Rodriguez, Celia Cruz.
- Argentina: Mercedes Sosa,
- Spain: Mocedades,
- Belgium: Lara Fabian,
- Italy: Andrea Boccelli, Ligabue, Jovanotti,
- Portugal: Mariza, Amalia Rodrigues.
- Brazil: Caetano Veloso.
One of my favorite parts of learning a foreign language is discovering their music. Some of My Favorite Foreign Language Songs: Probably once a month, I spend an evening watching YouTube videos of some of my favorite songs in foreign languages. I learned many of these songs while studying foreign languages at small schools worldwide. Here are some of my favorite songs:
- Russian: Moscovskaya Vechera, Tonkaya Ryabina.
- Italian: Il Ragazzo della Via Gluck, Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu.
- French: Evangeline, Il est ou le bonheur?, On Ne Change Pas, L’Oiseau Rebelle.
- Spanish: Mi Unicornio Azul, Latinoamerica, El y Ella, A Dios Le Pido.
- Haiti: Bravo Manman, Le Mal du Pays.
My Favorite Movies and Documentaries
My Favorite Type of Movies: Documentaries, animated films, grown-up dramas, and romantic comedies. I generally am not a big fan of action films or slapstick comedies. I like films that explore the human mind and condition and have an unexpected point of view.
Some of My Favorite English-Language Films: Network, Citizen Kane, The Third Man, It Happened One Night, The Producers, It’s a Wonderful Life, On the Waterfront, Missing (Costa Gavras), Streetcar Named Desire, Mildred Pierce, The Graduate, Annie Hall, Auntie Mame, Apocalypse Now, Forrest Gump, The Apartment, All About Eve, Sunset Boulevard.
A Few of My Favorite Little Known Foreign Films:
- Argentinian: La Historia Oficial, Un Cuento Chino.
- Mexico: Y Tu Mama Tambien, Los Crimenes del Padre Amaro.
- Germany: M, Das Boot, Goodbye Lenin, The Lives of Others.
- Denmark: Babette’s Feast.
- France: The Well Digger’s Daughter. Amour
- Italy: La Strada, The Bicycle Thief.
- Japan: Fires on the Plain, Ikiru, Seven Samurai.
- Brazil: Pixote, Black Orpheus, Central Station.
- Canada (Quebec): The Rocket, Bon Cop/Bad Cop, Starbuck.
- Australia: The Castle, Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.
My Favorite Documentaries: Ken Burns: World War II, Prohibition, Baseball, Central Park Five, and Frank Lloyd Wright. Being Elmo: A Puppeteer’s Journey; Three Identical Strangers; Capturing the Friedmans; Spellbound; Amy; Won’t You Be My Neighbor; Deliver Us from Evil; OJ: Made In America; The Making of a Legend: Gone with the Wind; I am Big Bird; Wild West Country; Strong Island; The Keepers; Jim and Andy: The Great Beyond; The Fog of War; Searching for Sugarman; Hoop Dreams.
Additional Posts About My Life (Paul Heller, Fifty Plus Nomad)
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Survival Spanish for Travelers Over 50 Workshop
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive Expat Retiree Survival Spanish Workshop
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive “Find Your Ideal Place to Live Abroad Over 50” Workshop
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive 1-on-1, “Ultimate Long Term Travel Planning Workshop”
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive 1-on-1 Traveling and Living in Mexico Workshop
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive “How to Teach Yourself Spanish Over 50” Workshop
- Learn Spanish Over 50 Through Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive 1-on-1 Classes
- Listen to My Interview on the Retirement Rovers Podcast
- My Crazy Top 26 Favorite Teaching English Stories From 1990s Russia
- 10 of My Favorite Travel Stories From Around the World
- Why Pack Light Advice Doesn’t Work for Me (and May Not Work for You Either)
- 10 Surprising Benefits of a Temporary Home Base While Traveling Full-Time
- My Complex Language Learning History
- Expat Life in Merida: Contentment with Friends and a Dog Despite Coronavirus
- Why I Love Traveling in Mexico: 10 Reasons
- 24 Top Outstanding Food Travel Tips
- My Top 4 Long Term Travel Lessons From 8 Years Exploring the World
- My Favorite 50+ Top Travel Memoirs
- My Detailed Travel Personality Inventory
- My 200+ Favorite Songs and Movies
- Visit Mumbai, India: The World’s Most Surprisingly Interesting City
- My Complex Journey from Nomad to Expat in Merida During Coronavirus
- 8 Horrifying Lessons From An Express Kidnapping In Mexico
- Frequent Flyer Points: A Lazy Man’s Guide