“Mexican food is so good, you’d think the real immigration problem would be fat guys like me sneaking across the border into Mexico.“
Traveling and Living in Mexico Workshop
Have you dreamed of living or traveling long-term in Mexico? If so, don’t you think your dream is worth one week of your time and a small investment. Then, you need to attend my one-on-one Traveling and Living in Mexico Workshop.
I will do everything possible to ensure that your small investment in my workshop will be one of the best decisions of your life.
While attending the workshop at my home in Merida, Mexico, we will develop an individualized plan for you to live or travel long-term in Mexico. We will also explore everything you need to successfully adapt to life in Mexico based on your personality, interests, and goals.
Most expat retirees and long-term travelers in Mexico find that Mexico is more different from the US than they thought, and many return home disillusioned. Not me. To me, Mexico is my home and will probably remain so for the rest of my life. My success here is because I realized that I needed to understand how to adapt to life before settling down here. Let me help you do the same.
While we will talk about anything you like for a week, the Traveling and Living in Mexico workshop will address the following topics:
- Determining whether you really want to live or travel long-term in Mexico (or both).
- Avoiding typical mistakes expat retirees make.
- Unearthing dozens of insider secrets for making your own perfect Mexican experience.
- Figuring out where you want to live in Mexico.
- Learning how to adjust and succeed in living in Mexico.
- Exploring the differences and similiarities between American and Mexican culture, society, and history.
- Planning a long-term travel itinerary around Mexico that matches your tastes and personality.
- The logistics of settling down as an expat retireein Mexico (such as costs, real estate, food, daily expat life, legal issues, etc.).
- How to learn Spanish efficiently and successfully.
Pick my brain. I (Paul Heller) love Mexico and have extensive experience to help you design your perfect life (or long-term travels) in Mexico, including having:
- Spent nearly two years traveling around Mexico and visited 27 of the 31 states. I started traveling in Mexico in my childhood and have witnessed firsthand the extensive changes to the country over that time.
- Lived in Mexico (Merida) for most of six years.
- Talked to hundreds of expats in Mexico as part of my research for my seminars.
- Stayed in ten Mexican families throughout the country and participated in their daily lives and struggles.
- Read over a hundred books about Mexican society, economics, politics, history, and culture and taken many classes about Mexico
- Studied Spanish using many different techniques for more than forty years. I know firsthand the advantages and disadvantages of most language learning methodologies and can match you with the methods that most suit your needs.
- Researched every aspect of Mexican history, culture, politics, and economics to be an expert on how living in Mexico is different from the US and Canada.
- Reviewed around fifty books on living and traveling in Mexico and can provide you with many secrets to succeeding in Mexico that these books can’t.
In the future, I will partner with other expats throughout Mexico (any suggested partners?) to provide classes in their communities about logistics such as buying or renting a home, getting your home repaired, visas, and banking. (Some possible places include Cancun and the Maya Riviera, Merida and the beach communities, Puerto Vallarta and Sayulita, the Cabo region of Baja, San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato, and Oaxaca).
Want to Know More About Traveling and Living in Mexico?
In addition to attending my Traveling and Living in Mexico workshop, I recommend reading some of my favorite books about traveling and living in Mexico:
- The People’s Guide to Mexico (unfortunately out of print since 2012)
- Todavía México: Life Beyond the Border and The View from Casa Chepitos: A Journey Beyond the Border by Judith Gille
- On Mexico Time and Mexican Days by Tony Cohan.
- Mañana Forever: Mexico and the Mexicans by Jorge Castañeda (fascinating, insightful, but I don’t agree with all his conclusions).
- Even though the book is from 2013 and is ostensibly only about living in Lake Chapala, the best book about the logistics of living in Mexico is Living at Lake Chapala: Live the Adventure at Lake Chapala by Judy King.
- Into the Heart of Mexico: Expatriates Find Themselves Off the Beaten Path and San Miguel de Allende: A Place in the Heart by John Scherber.
- Gringos in Paradise: An American Couple Builds Their Retirement Dream House in a Seaside Village in Mexico by Barry Golson
Additional Fifty Plus Nomad Workshops and Classes
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Survival Spanish for Travelers Over 50 WorkshopIntroducing Fifty-Plus Nomad’s “Basic Survival Spanish Workshop” in my home in Merida, Mexico or online. Come learn enough Spanish to help you travel long-term in the Spanish-speaking world.
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive Expat Retiree Survival Spanish WorkshopCheck out Fifty-Plus Nomad Spanish classes in my home in Merida, Mexico or online. In this three-week workshop, I will help you learn enough Spanish to survive daily expat experiences in the Spanish-speaking world.
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive “Find Your Ideal Place to Live Abroad Over 50” WorkshopWant to live in Latin America or Europe but don’t know where to start? Take my one-on-one, one-week workshop,, and let me help you find your ideal place and then map out a plan to successfully live abroad.
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive 1-on-1, “Ultimate Long Term Travel Planning Workshop”Benefit from my eight years of experience traveling around the world. Spend a week at my home in Merida, Mexico and learn what you need to know to successfully and joyfully travel long term, around the world.
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive 1-on-1 Traveling and Living in Mexico WorkshopAlways dreamed of traveling or living in Mexico but don´t know where to start? Take my one-on-one, one week workshop at my home in Merida and learn what you need to know to make your Mexico-bound dreams a reality.
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive “How to Teach Yourself Spanish Over 50” WorkshopLearn how to study Spanish or English on your own using the same techniques used by polyglots to become fully conversational in multiple foreign languages.
- Learn Spanish Over 50 Through Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive 1-on-1 ClassesIntroducing Fifty-Plus Nomad Spanish and English classes in my home in Merida, Mexico. Come learn Spanish or English using the same techniques used by polyglots.
Additional Mexico Posts From Fifty Plus Nomad
- 60+ Fun Facts About Mexico For Travelers
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Survival Spanish for Travelers Over 50 Workshop
- 55+ Best Mexico Travel Quotes
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive Expat Retiree Survival Spanish Workshop
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive “Find Your Ideal Place to Live Abroad Over 50” Workshop
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive 1-on-1, “Ultimate Long Term Travel Planning Workshop”
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive 1-on-1 Traveling and Living in Mexico Workshop
- Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive “How to Teach Yourself Spanish Over 50” Workshop
- Learn Spanish Over 50 Through Fifty Plus Nomad’s Exclusive 1-on-1 Classes
- 10 Reasons I am an Expat Retiree in Mexico Versus Costa Rica
- Choosing the Right Place to Retire in Mexico
- Expat Life in Merida: Contentment with Friends and a Dog Despite Coronavirus
- Pros and Cons of Living in Merida, Mexico
- Why I Love Traveling in Mexico: 10 Reasons
- Third World Vs First World Travel: 15 Advantages and Disadvantages
- Profile of a True Modern Day Nomad and Expat: Vicki Skinner
- Maggie and the Mexican Hot Sheets Motel
- My Complex Journey from Nomad to Expat in Merida During Coronavirus
- 8 Horrifying Lessons From An Express Kidnapping In Mexico